FREE RIDES all day on all routes for Dump the Pump!!!!!
On Thursday, June 16, 2016, COLTS will participate in the 11th Annual Dump the Pump Day. This is a national event for public transit agencies all across the country to promote public transportation as an environmentally friendly and affordable way to travel.
COLTS is proud to take part in Dump the Pump for the seventh year in a row. We will offer free rides on all our routes all day long on June 16.
There are many ways to Dump the Pump – ride the bus, walk, ride a bike, carpool. We hope that you will participate in Dumping the Pump as a way to fight high gas prices and to help the environment.
FACTS AND FIGURES
- In 2014, Americans took 10.8 billion trips on public transportation – the highest in 58 years.
- Public transportation provides personal mobility and freedom for people from every walk of life. It gives people transportation to commute to work, go to school, visit friends, or travel to a doctor’s office.
- Public transportation has a proven record of reducing congestion; one full COLTS bus could remove 30 cars from the road.
- Since 1995, public transit ridership is up 39 percent, outpacing population growth, which is up 21 percent.
- According to the American Public Transportation Association’s Transit Savings Report, a two-person household can save, on average, more than $9,394 by downsizing to one car.
- Public transportation provides an affordable, and for many, necessary, alternative to driving.
- An individual who switches to public transportation can reduce his or her carbon emissions by 20 pounds – more than 4,800 pounds a year.
- Public transportation reduces stress and decreases congestion on busy roadways.
- The National Safety Council estimates that taking the bus is 170 times safer that driving or riding in a car.
- Using public transit can save 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline each year – the equivalent of 900,000 cars filling up every day.
- Public transit use reduces the country’s carbon footprint by 37 million metric tons annually.
- For every $1 billion invested in public transportation, 30,000 jobs are created.
Information compiled from American Public Transportation Association, National Safety Council, and COLTS.