”We don’t inherit the Earth. We borrow it from our children.”
~ David Brower, environmentalist
Tips for Greener Living
Every person has a chance to make a difference for our planet through our daily choices. There are many easy things you can do to help create a sustainable future for our Earth. Among them:
RIDE THE BUS!
- Plant a tree.
- Carpool. Leaving your car at home twice a week could reduce your carbon footprint by 1,600 pounds.
- Ride your bike.
- Use reusable shopping bags.
- Replace your regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs). According to the EPA, they last seven times longer and use 60 percent less energy than regular bulbs.
- Unplug your computer, cell phone charger, DVD player and any other electronics before you leave the house.
- Fix your leaky faucets.
- Run multiple errands at once so you use your vehicle fewer times.
- Print out as few documents as possible. Conserve our trees!
- Try composting. It sends less material to landfills and helps your soil retain more water so that plants grow better.
- Use sustainable, reusable bottles instead of plastic.
- If you use plastic bottles, reuse them to collect rain to water your garden.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Install a water-efficient showerhead.
- During hot weather, don’t top off your gas tank; even a small fuel spill adds to air pollution.
- Run your dishwasher only when it is full.
- Run your washing machine only when it is full.