American With Disabilities Act (ADA) Reasonable Modifications Policy
All COLTS buses are fully accessible to people with disabilities.
- All COLTS buses are equipped with a kneeling feature and a wheelchair lift or are low-floor buses with ramps for easy access.
- Our drivers will provide any assistance you may need for a safe and comfortable ride.
- Our drivers will secure mobility devices at a special area at the front of the bus.
- Guide dogs and service animals are allowed on COLTS buses.
- Passengers requesting reasonable modification should let their driver know or call COLTS at (570) 346-2061.
- On March 13, 2015, the Federal Department of Transportation issued a Final Rule affecting 49 CFR Parts 27 and 37: Transportation for Individuals With Disabilities; Reasonable Modification of Policies and Practices.
- The purpose behind this final rule is: “…specifically to provide that transportation entities are required to make reasonable modifications/accommodations to policies, practices and procedures to avoid discrimination and ensure that their programs are accessible to individuals with disabilities.”
- COLTS will make reasonable modifications to its policies, practices, or procedures when requested to do so by individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability. Requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be denied if:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of the authority’s service, programs, or activities;
- Granting the request could create a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
- Without such modification, the individual with a disability is otherwise able to fully use the authority’s services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose.